is it the future?

Balint Szigeti balint.szgt at gmail.com
Sun Sep 14 14:32:46 UTC 2014

On Sun, 2014-09-14 at 17:23 +0300, Joonas Sarajärvi wrote:

> > WTF?*** sorry about inappropriate language. I've just upset a little bit.
> > Why does a deamon have a config file if it doesn't read it?
> > journalctl is the reader command and the journald is the logger service.
> > Still don't get it why the config file is ignored....
>
> The daemon reads the journald.conf config file. At least I use an
> option in journald.conf to limit the size of the persistent journal.
>
> If you look at the options in man journald.conf, note that pretty much
> all the options specify how and where the log messages get stored.
> Since journalctl just reads and displays the stored data but does not
> write it, there is little content in journald.conf that could be
> applied to journalctl anyway.
>
> The Storage option is one that journalctl could in theory use to
> ignore some journal content that has been left lying on a system that
> e.g. does not actually maintain a persistent journal. But I guess
> journalctl does not currently use even that option. So if the local
> admin does not want journalctl to read the persistent journal from
> /var/log/journal/, the easiest way to achieve that would be to ensure
> that /var/log/journal/ is not present on the system.

As I wrote to the maillist I did it. I reconfigured the journald.conf
and deleted the journal logs then restarted the
systemd-journald.service. Moreover I rebooted but the logs were
preserved.
So, I get what you write and the man page says but the actual daemon
doesn't do it. It is a bug or just by design. Thank you systemd
community, we really needed to replace the existed log system and really
wanted to use it by force (Fedora mail list - Re: case study -
journalctl - where is logger output).
:-/

Balint