Fedora 20 with AMD catalyst video driver

Bruno Jean bjean at redhat.com
Mon Sep 15 16:18:14 UTC 2014

Hi,

I am planning to build a Fedora 20 machine to host a couple of VMs and a NAS server concurrently. I already browse internet to get some advice on the hardware. As I want to keep the cost low,  I plan to use quad core AMD processors with built-in GPU. I would like to have feedback from the fedora guys about the AMD catalyst video driver on Fedora 20. According to various internet blog, it does not work out of the box on Fedora 20, and even the workaround posted here (http://bluehatrecord.wordpress.com/2014/05/10/installing-the-proprietary-amd-catalyst-14-4-fglrx-driver-on-fedora-20-with-kernel-3-14/) does not seems to work for everyone.

So my question is the following: Is the default video driver in the fedora 20 allows for a 2560×1440 external monitor resolution with AMD GPU, or I should go with another GPU (Nvidia?) or a motherboard GPU.

Thanks in advance for your support,

Bruno