Fedora 20 with AMD catalyst video driver

Steven Rosenberg stevenhrosenberg at gmail.com
Mon Sep 15 23:16:48 UTC 2014

I keep hoping somebody will pick up the AMD Catalyst driver in RPM
Fusion, but nothing has happened yet. There has been no RPM-packaged
driver for F20, and nothing for F21 at this point.

Options include using AMD's installer, or at least in F20, using the
F19 packages. I've done both, and now I'm doing the latter (using the
F19 packages in F20). Here are instructions for doing that:
http://stevenrosenberg.net/blog/linux/fedora/2014_0522_best_way_to_get_AMD_catalyst_in_fedora_20

Fedora users should at least have the choice of whether or not they
want to run Catalyst -- and have a distro-specific package from which
to do that. There has been no "break in the action" for Nvidia
proprietary driver users. That package has been in RPM Fusion without
interruption.

While I could say, "just don't use Fedora," instead I'm going to say,
"Linux users should think twice before buying AMD hardware," which I
wish I did this last time.
--
Steven Rosenberg
http://stevenrosenberg.net/blog