SpoofMAC

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Tue Sep 16 17:32:37 UTC 2014

On 09/16/2014 06:48 PM, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 16, 2014 at 18:11:03 +0300,
>  Robert Moskowitz <rgm at htt-consult.com> wrote:
>> https://github.com/feross/SpoofMAC
>>
>> Has anyone used this?  I will be using it to test the impact of using
>> randomized local MAC addresses.  I would like to have a Gnome widget
>> that I can just click on and run this.
>
> No, but I am interested in using random mac addresses for wireless.
> (For wired mac addresses I usally set to something other than what is
> on the hardware, but don't constantly change it.)

Over the next number of months there is a serious review in both IEEE
802 and IETF on this issue and how privacy can be improved. One of the
WPA suplicant developers is active in 802.11, so eventually this will
become a feature directly supported.  We have an Apple team member, but
he has to play things close to his chest on what and how Apple will do
things.  I expect a couple Microsoft participants as well.  Google will
also be represented, but again, how knows what Google will do.

We are planning active tests at the IETF and IEEE 802 meetings.  We have
in the past had special SSIDs for trails (like IPv6only).

Right now you can try SpoofMAC and see if it works on your wifi adapter,
we would be interested to know.  Our initial thoughts is minimally to
change your MAC before association.  Don't change it while assoicated!
If we can, we would use a different MACaddr for each PROBE REQUEST
(requires WPA Supplicant changes).