Smart Media Player Network Access in Fedora 20

Stephen Morris samorris at netspace.net.au
Tue Sep 16 22:01:50 UTC 2014

> On Sun, 2014-09-14 at 11:09 +1000, Stephen Morris wrote:
>>> Note that my comments were on using DLNA. Miracast is different (and
>>> pretty much as you describe it) since it's focussed on screen
>> mirroring
>>> which is not the same concept. My TV supports Miracast and I can
>> mirror
>>> my phone or tablet to the big screen, something I haven't attempted
>>> do in Linux. If that's what you really want to do then ignore what I
>>> said earlier, but you should consider if it is in fact what you want
>>> do. If you just want to watch videos it may not be.
>> Miracast is not what I really wanted to use but under windows that
>> was
>> the only process that seemed to work, as when I configure mediaplayer
>> for streaming it doesn't get to the player, plus everybody I talk to
>> here are telling me that if I am using windows I should be using
>> Miracast. I figured Linux was similar, but I using wireless for
>> streaming and didn't want dlna streaming to be picked up by dlna
>> receivers by next door neighbors if that was at all possible.
> Well, they're wrong. Use Miracast if you want to throw your Windows
> screen onto a TV, say for a presentation. If you want to use your
> computer to serve videos (or audio for that matter) to one or more
> clients then you need to run a server package. I'm absolutely 100%
> certain you can do this in Windows as well, in fact some of the most
> popular solutions are cross-platform. There's a list of them on
> Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_streaming_media_systems
>
> A popular one is Plex, which runs on Win, Mac and Linux and has a whole
> bunch of other features. I didn't need anything so full-featured, so I
> opted for minidlna which is simple to set up.
>
> Keeping the neighbours out is just standard network practice: use a
> decent WPA password on the router, and keep a tight control on incoming
> connections via the server firewall. IIRC the server config can also
> restrict clients to certain IPs though I haven't bothered with that.
My concern with dlna from Windows or Linux was not so much with
neighbours hacking into the network, but if the dlna stream is not
transmitted to a specific device like Miracast is, then it was
potentially conceivable that it could be broadcast and inadvertently
played on the neighbours receiver without really meaning to.
>>> I have my NAS device and TV connected via Gigabit Ethernet to
>> Gigabit
>>> ports on my router. I would only use Wifi for video streaming if I
>> had
>>> no other option.
>>   From my perspective I don't necessarily have any other option. I
>> have
>> my NAS connected to my modem/router/voip phone device, but not by
>> gigabit even though the NAS ethernet is gigabit, because the router
>> doesn't have a gigabit port (I can upgrade the router from my isp
>> which
>> now have a device that has gigabit ports). As the device is also my
>> home
>> phone, the device is situated next to the phone socket which is in a
>> remote room, hence I have to use wireless unless I run cables along
>> the
>> ceiling or floor between rooms. I potentially could put a range
>> extender
>> next to the Smartmedia Player and connect the player to the extender
>> by
>> ethernet, but is that really any different to having the player
>> accessing the NAS over wireless?
> Giga Ethernet is nice but not really necessary, however real Wifi
> end-to-end bandwidth is so vulnerable to factors such as other users,
> signal reflections, attentuation etc. that it's always going to be the
> least desirable option. And Wifi range extenders are a waste of money
> unless you're very lucky (I haven't had good results from them), not to
> mention halving your bandwidth.
>
> For fixed stations a much better alternative is Powerline Ethernet (the
> standard spec is called HomePlug). They can be had for around $100-$150
> for a pair, and use the house wiring to distribute the signal from your
> router. They work quite well (YMMV of course). The better ones include a
> Wifi access point on the remote side so they effectively act as a local
> hotspot.
One of my collegues that I work with uses a homeplug type device and
tells me it works very well, so I could look at that although I'm not
sure how well it would work in a powerboard as I don't have any spare
wall power points. I have a few other issues I need to sort out as well.
I have finally managed to get nfs on the nas usable but the playback on
the android player is worse than the playback via smb on the same
device. I can use dlna to get the player to stream movies from the nas
which seems to give a bit better performance, but I have movies in 3
directories, with one directory containing mp4 files, the 2nd with mov
files and the 3rd with an mkv files, but dlna is unable to even see the
directory containing the mkv files and at the moment I don't know why.
The 2 directories that dlna can see were created by Windows whereas the
directory it can't see was created from Fedora via Samba, which might
explain the issue but I don't know why that should be any different.

regards,
Steve