case study - journalctl - where is logger output

Balint Szigeti balint.szgt at gmail.com
Wed Sep 17 10:40:41 UTC 2014

On Tue, 2014-09-16 at 17:46 -0600, Chris Murphy wrote:

> On Sep 16, 2014, at 9:11 AM, Balint Szigeti <balint.szgt at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 2014-09-16 at 09:52 -0400, Tom H wrote:
> >> On Sat, Sep 13, 2014 at 11:47 AM, Balint Szigeti <balint.szgt at gmail.com

> >> It's working here. systemd must sense that you don't like it and it's
> >> messin' wit' u!
> >>

> > you are right. I don't like it.
> >> # grep Storage /etc/systemd/journald.conf
> >> Storage=none
> >>
> > I've set it and restarted the "systemctl restart systemd-journald.service" journald and the system stopped to logging. :(
>

> From defaults, only changing journald.conf Storage=none, installing and enabling rsyslog, I can't reproduce the problem on either Fedora 20 or 21.
>
> [root at f20v log]# logger biscuit
> [root at f20v log]# grep biscuit /var/log/messages
> Sep 16 10:33:42 f20v root: biscuit
> [root at f20v log]# journalctl | grep biscuit
> Sep 16 10:33:42 f20v.localdomain root[786]: biscuit
>
> rsyslog-7.4.8-1.fc20.1.x86_64
> systemd-208-21.fc20.x86_64

Well, I have definitely a problem:

[root at szigeti-6560b ~]# vi /etc/systemd/journald.conf
[root at szigeti-6560b ~]# grep none $_
Storage=none
[root at szigeti-6560b ~]# systemctl restart systemd-journald.service
[root at szigeti-6560b ~]# logger foo
[root at szigeti-6560b ~]# grep foo /var/log/messages
[root at szigeti-6560b ~]# journalctl -n 100 |grep foo
[root at szigeti-6560b ~]#
[root at szigeti-6560b ~]# vi /etc/systemd/journald.conf
[root at szigeti-6560b ~]# systemctl restart systemd-journald.service
[root at szigeti-6560b ~]# grep Storage /etc/systemd/journald.conf
#Storage=none
#Storage=auto
[root at szigeti-6560b ~]# logger AAAAAAAAAAA
[root at szigeti-6560b ~]# grep AAAAAA /var/log/messages
Sep 17 11:38:14 SZIGETI-6560B bszigeti: AAAAAAAAAAA
[root at szigeti-6560b ~]# journalctl -n 100 |grep AAAA
Sep 17 11:38:14 szigeti-6560b bszigeti[28839]: AAAAAAAAAAA

rsyslog-7.4.8-1.fc20.1.x86_64
systemd-208-21.fc20.x86_64

Do you have any clue?