64bit skype client needed

Rick Stevens ricks at alldigital.com
Wed Sep 17 20:29:22 UTC 2014

On 09/17/2014 01:14 PM, jd1008 issued this missive:

> On 09/17/2014 01:54 PM, Joonas Sarajärvi wrote:
>>> OK, I have the rpm pf skype which was built for fc18:
>>> skype-4.2.0.11-3.fc18.x86_64.rpm
>>> but it still depends on i686 libs and other components.
>>>
>>> I was wondering if there is a way to extract the spec file
>>> from it and rebuild it (i.e. relink it) with 64bit libs, by
>>> editing the spec file, and running rpmbuild ...etc.
>>>
>> To make a 64-bit build of the application, you would need to actually
>> compile the sources with a compiler that targets the 64-bit
>> instruction set. This requires access to application source code.
>> Source code to the Skype client is not available.
>>
>> My impression is that the skype "x86_64" rpm is still the same 32-bit
>> application that ships in their 32-bit package.
>>
>> Fortunately, an x86-64 Fedora installation can easily run also 32-bit
>> applications.
>>
>> -Joonas
> Yes I know, but I just found out how to do a rebuild of the binary
> via
> # rpmrebuild autogenerated specfile
>
> but it still requires 32 bit libs.

Although it's packaged as a 64-bit RPM, the executable requires 32-bit
libraries and I think the binary itself is 32-bit. If you do a "file
/bin/skype", I think you'll see that. If not, well, it still needs 32-
bit libraries.

As someone else said, to really use 64-bit libs you must recompile the
source and the source isn't available. End of story. Sorry.