Rick Stevens ricks at alldigital.com
Thu Sep 18 00:17:27 UTC 2014

On 09/17/2014 02:55 PM, Pete Travis issued this missive:

> On Sep 16, 2014 4:08 PM, <reg at dwf.com <mailto:reg at dwf.com>> wrote:
>  >
>  > I am trying to build gphoto2 for an old system (Fedora 11) where I store
>  > photos.
>  > (gphoto2 exists as part of the download in Fedora19)
>  >
>  > In any case, I do the configure/make/make install for both libgphto2 and
>  > gphoto2 with no problems, so it would seem that the loader at this point
>  > is seeing the library.
>  >
>  > But when I try to execute gphoto2, I get the message
>  >
>  > gphoto2: error while loading shared libraries: libgphoto2.so.6:
> cannot open
>  > shared object file: No such file or directory
>  >
>  > the library is in /usr/local/lib, so the directory IS being searched.
>  > I vaguely remember this problem from some years ago, but forget the
> solution.
>  >
>  > Anyone remember how to work around this?
>  > --
>  >                                         Reg.Clemens
>  > reg at dwf.com <mailto:reg at dwf.com>
>  >
>  >
>  > --
>
> Is there some aspect of the current, supported Fedora releases that
> makes them unsuitable for storing photos?

I concur, Pete, but there's probably some weird reason the OP needs F11
(even though it's, what, five years old).

IIRC, the problem is that the OP needs to add

	/usr/local/lib64

to his /etc/ld.so.conf file, or create an "/etc/ld.so.conf.d/local.conf"
file containing that line, then run (as the root user):

	ldconfig -v

This should ensure that the run-time linker looks in /usr/local/lib64
for libraries in addition to the usual spots.