64bit skype client needed

Rick Stevens ricks at alldigital.com
Thu Sep 18 17:05:48 UTC 2014

On 09/17/2014 07:22 PM, jd1008 issued this missive:

> On 09/17/2014 02:45 PM, Rick Stevens wrote:

>>> I do have the 64bit src rpm for
>>> skype-4.2.0.11-3.fc18.src.rpm
>>>
>>> But all it does when you try to build it, is just name the binary file
>>> as a 64 bit rpm.
>>> I am still hoping that a compiler and machine code guru will find a way
>>> to change 32 bit code to 64 bit counterpart, and change the linkage
>>> directives
>>> to link with the 64 bit libs.
>>>
>>> :) hoping is not a nono :)
>>
>> Not impossible, but INCREDIBLY labor-intensive and it really wouldn't
>> improve anything. To make use of the 64-bit registers, memory maps and
>> other features, you really need to let the compiler make its
>> optimizations and such. This fixation about not having 32-bit libraries
>> is quite silly. If you really need Skype, just suck it up, install the
>> required libraries and be done with it.
> I really AM trying to avoid the 32 bit libs. I just dont want them on my
> system.
> You say that's silly.
> I hope it is not your standard policy to call people silly
> just because they have certain preferences.

Anyone who watches this list knows I take great care in not disparaging
anyone. I'm saying it's silly because:

	a) Skype isn't available as a 64-bit app with 64-bit libraries
	and we've already explained to you several times why that's the
	case

	b) We've also explained why you can't build it for 64-bit
	libraries (closed source)

	c) If you really need Skype, you have to install the 32-bit
	libraries Skype requires

Insisting that you don't want the 32-bit libraries rather paints you
into a corner. Without them, you can't have Skype and that's pretty
much it.

>> You should be more concerned with having a closed-source, non-peer-
>> reviewed binary on your machine. Who knows what data it is mining on
>> your system and sending off to M$ and their evil minions. Half of the
>> apps I've downloaded for my Android phone never get installed because
>> as they install they want access to stuff that has NOTHING to do with
>> the app's supposed function (for example, I-Heart-Radio has absolutely
>> NO need to look at my address book). They get deleted as soon as they
> Yes, I have seen that on just about every android app.
> But an open source skype-like client just does not exist
> with sufficient backing from it's users to afford the phone
> lines through which to make phone calls to phone numbers.
> Although, even without phone lines for phone numbers,
> it would still be very useful for calling contacts who are online.
> I recall someone had such a server, but could not afford to get
> a high speed internet line to support more than a few callers
> at a time.

You can use IRC, Yahoo, AIM, XMPP and a bunch of other stuff for
messaging. Some permit voice communications. Some support voice and
video.

You can join a VOIP consortium and use Ekiga or Twinkle or some other
open source VOIP client to make phone calls (not free, but neither is
SkypeIn or SkypeOut). Heck, you could even found such a group and put
in the phone lines and such and put the issue to bed. I, for one, would
love to see something other than Skype (and M$) for this. Sign me up!