Recovering files from ext2/3

Tom Horsley horsley1953 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 18 19:23:51 UTC 2014

On Thu, 18 Sep 2014 12:45:37 -0600
jd1008 wrote:

> I was also looking for the formula that is used to compute the location
> of all of the backup superblocks.

OK, I found my notes from the last time I did this the paragraph about
units may be the important part :-).

I was able to mount the busted partition (read only, of course) using an
alternate superblock like so:

mount -o ro,sb=3276800 /dev/sdXX /mountpoint

Where you find a number like 3276800 by doing:

dumpe2fs /dev/sdXX | grep -i superblock

Natually the units are all wrong, you need to multiply the numbers
that show up in the dumpe2fs listing by 4 to pass them to the
sb= on the mount command. (This may be the important missing info :-).

I used one of the superblocks in the middle of the list to get it
to mount, and was able to copy off some of the files.