SATA II causes system freeze

Roger Heflin rogerheflin at gmail.com
Fri Sep 19 17:19:18 UTC 2014

Power supply would be my only guess to cause system wide failures with
2 separate motherboards, both of which would be unlikely to be bad in
the same way.   I have used a number of the AMD build sata2/sata3 MB
controllers and never had them act up even when using all of the
build-ins at the same time heavily.

Possibly the sata3 uses a bit less power and that lowers things just
enough that it does not happen, or possibly the sata3 chipset will
survive with a lower voltage than the sata2 chipset.   Power problems
do weird things...whatever component is the most picky on its voltage
will be what flakes out, and it can be just about anything.    If both
of the MB's were a similar AMD chipset then likely the weak point is
the same.