WiFi Tx power question

Heinz Diehl htd+ml at fritha.org
Fri Sep 19 19:14:38 UTC 2014

On 19.09.2014, jd1008 wrote:

>           Bit Rate=72.2 Mb/s   Tx-Power=15 dBm

> So, reason I am asking is that I would like to increase Tx power to 30dBm
> due to poor connectivity with the hotspot router.

There are two barriers:

1. the capability of your adapter
2. CRDA

For most countries, 2.4 GHz is limited to 15 dBm, so iwconfig won't
help. The only thing you can do is to check if your router has WMM
enabled for the 2.4 GHz band. If so, you have a chance that your
adapter can use HT/VHT (aka 802.11n/ac), which in turn allows a
slightly higher tx power (but quite sure not 30 dBm).

Btw: increased tx power also leads to increased noise. You should
consider other ways to improve the connectivity to your AP (miving it
closer, using a repeater...)