WiFi Tx power question

Doug dmcgarrett at optonline.net
Fri Sep 19 23:24:37 UTC 2014

On 09/19/2014 07:00 PM, jd1008 wrote:

> On 09/19/2014 04:50 PM, Rick Stevens wrote:

>>> Thank you Heinz.
>>> I am also looking for a card that has much higher Rx sensitivity
>>> (i.e. can receive lower strength signals without problems).
>>
>> Try to find a USB adapter with an external antenna. This is one and I
>> believe it works with Linux:
>>
>>     http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704045
>
> Well, what about this one with long range capability (whatever that means :) :)
>
> http://www.ebay.com/itm/TP-LINK-TL-WN822N-Wireless-N300-High-Gain-USB-Adapter-WIFI-Adapter-Long-range-/261441336867?pt=US_USB_Wi_Fi_Adapters_Dongles&hash=item3cdf1e3623

First: Higher power does NOT increase noise in the signal. It just increases the amount of
radio frequency energy in the general area, which may be "noise" to some _other_ piece of equipment.

A previous post recommended  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704045.
The antenna in the previous post has a _detachable_ external antenna. surely that antenna will
have a "reverse polarity" connector, but there are adapters for those things. There are two
advantages for a detachable antenna with a connector on it:
1. You can connect a cable between the adapter and the antenna, and put the antenna is a
more favorable location, and,
2. After you connect the cable to the adapter, you can look for an antenna with a higher gain.
That will probably make the effective radiated power exceed legal limits, but it _will_ provide
greater range.

The antenna recommended in this post (above) is actually two antennas, both apparently connected
to the dongle without connectors, but that's not certain. The advantage of two antennas, is what is
called "diversity."  The reason that diversity is advantageous is that in any environment
with reflecting surfaces--like the room where your computer is located--
the reflections of the RF signal will cause spots with higher field strength and spots with lower.
The use of two antennas is intended to put at least one of them in a spot with higher signal strength.
(This frequently works, but not always.)

I hope this discussion has made some of the possibilities more clear.

--Doug, retired RF engineer.