Firefox and htm5: "Your browser does not currently recognize any of the video formats available."

jd1008 jd1008 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 20 00:22:04 UTC 2014

On 09/19/2014 05:32 PM, g wrote:
> hello again jd,
>
> On 09/20/2014 04:25 AM, jd1008 wrote:
>> At url youtube.com/html5
>> I request the html5 player
>> then I play a youtube video.
>> I get the message
>> Your browser does not currently recognize any of the video formats
>> available.
>> Click here to visit our frequently asked questions about HTML5 video.
>>
>> Clicking on the link, shows that only
>> HTMLVideoElement and WebM VP8are check marked .
>>
>> The rest are red squares with a white bang in them.
>> Is there a way to ask youtube to select a different format of the video
>> other than what it chooses by default?
>
> a couple of questions before attempt to offer any suggestions.
>
> what version & release of firefox?
>
> what youtube urls are you having problems with?

I am on FF 28.0, and I refuse to upgrade it.
Certain things I like have disappeared from subsequent releases.
I am so used to how things are laid out on the screen, I was uncomfortable
with subsequent releases that would NOT let me put the tabs below the
navigation address bar.

The video in question, and many others of similar format, was forwarded to
me by a friend: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-kvlpoht1Y
but I could not watch it via the browser.
( I do not want to run Adobe's flash player).