Recovering files from ext2/3

Robert Nichols rnicholsNOSPAM at comcast.net
Sun Sep 21 01:15:37 UTC 2014

On 09/19/2014 08:16 PM, Chris Murphy wrote:

> On Sep 19, 2014, at 11:49 AM, jd1008 <jd1008 at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Ouch!  That _used_ to work.  Trying it just now, "mke3fs -S" seems
>>> to clear a substantial portion of the inodes, which the manpage
>>> specifically says it should _not_ do, and then /fsck/ completes the
>>> destruction by moving all of the remaining inodes to lost+found.
>>>
>>> Sorry about that.
>>>
>> Can raise a bug against it?
>
> Chances are this is an upstream bug, or a misunderstanding. You should post your reproduce steps to the ext4 list, what you expect to happen based on man page, and what actually happens.
> http://vger.kernel.org/vger-lists.html#linux-ext4

It might be better for someone besides me to do that.  I'm running an
RHEL 6 clone, which uses e2fsprogs-1.41.12.  If I post on the mailing
list I'll immediately be told to upgrade to the latest version.  Since
my ox is not the one being gored here, I'm reluctant to jump through
the hoops needed to do that.

                 Do NOT delete it.