SATA II causes system freeze

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Mon Sep 22 07:43:19 UTC 2014

On 22 September 2014 03:37, Chris Murphy <lists at colorremedies.com> wrote:

>> Chris, I agree.  Which is why the first thing I tried was to buy a
>> new different motherboard (to replace the almost new motherboard).
>> The two mobo's have onboard video that appears to be different, yet the
>> display during freeze is indistinguishable.
>
> OK but when you say different motherboard, how different? Same make and model? It could still be from the same batch; either the logic board itself, or the components.
>

>From David De Graaf's original email:
"Originally, I had used a Gigabyte 78MT-USB3 mobo, but replaced it with
an ASRock 960M/U3S3 FX mobo in a futile attempt to fix the problem."

If I had to take a guess, and with PSU issues ruled out (I'm assuming
"I did also change the power supply but forgot to list that with all
the other things that didn't work." means "to a larger capacity
one".), the other common factor is the hard drive. Possibly it's doing
something that SATA3 ignores or handles better, either because of
different controller chips or some difference in the driver software.
Any log errors recorded when it crashes? Might be one for a kernel
bug. Increasing frequency of the problem could indicate something in
the drive electronics that's failing.

--
imalone