Recommended format for external hard disk

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Mon Sep 22 12:51:15 UTC 2014

On 09/22/2014 02:40 PM, Tim wrote:
> On Mon, 2014-09-22 at 10:23 +0100, Paul Smith wrote:
>> I gave just bought an external disk to be used on machines running
>> Fedora. Which format would you recommend to format the disk? And what
>> steps should I follow?
>
> More information might help get better answers.

ACK. Much of a recommendation depends upon the use-case you want your
external disk for.

E.g. as a Linux-only backup drive, I usually use ext4, to exchange data
with Windows, there hardly is an alternative to ntfs, and to exchange
data with arbitrary other systems (TVs, MediaPlayers) other restrictions
may come into play.

Ralf