Recommended format for external hard disk

Sudhir Khanger sudhir at sudhirkhanger.com
Mon Sep 22 14:11:20 UTC 2014

On Monday, September 22, 2014 02:51:15 PM Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> E.g. as a Linux-only backup drive, I usually use ext4, to exchange data
> with Windows, there hardly is an alternative to ntfs, and to exchange
> data with arbitrary other systems (TVs, MediaPlayers) other restrictions
> may come into play.

I would not share same drive for backing up a Linux system on a ntfs drive
because ntfs doesn't handle permissions the same way as ext4 does. Permission
are not so much critical for music and videos but it surely messed up my dev
environment when I tried restore my backup from ntfs drive.

--
Regards,
Sudhir Khanger,