Smart Media Player Network Access in Fedora 20

Stephen Morris samorris at netspace.net.au
Mon Sep 22 21:50:40 UTC 2014

> [...]
>>> restrict clients to certain IPs though I haven't bothered with that.
>> My concern with dlna from Windows or Linux was not so much with
>> neighbours hacking into the network, but if the dlna stream is not
>> transmitted to a specific device like Miracast is, then it was
>> potentially conceivable that it could be broadcast and inadvertently
>> played on the neighbours receiver without really meaning to.
> It *is* transmitted to a specific device, but the transmission is
> initiated by the client pulling it from the server rather than the
> server pushing it to the client. At the transport level it's exactly the
> same. The neighbours are not going to be bothered a) because it's not a
> multicast service, i.e. each client gets its own individual stream, and
> b) because they can't see inside your network (as long as you set it up
> correctly as mentioned last time).
>
>> One of my collegues that I work with uses a homeplug type device and
>> tells me it works very well, so I could look at that although I'm not
>> sure how well it would work in a powerboard as I don't have any spare
>> wall power points.
> No way to tell without trying it, but these things are designed for
> fairly noisy environments and even multiple phases (i.e. homes with
> several power rings). All the same, I would put the Homeplugs on their
> own sockets and move something else to the multiconnector if possible.
>
>> I have a few other issues I need to sort out as well.
>> I have finally managed to get nfs on the nas usable but the playback
>> on
>> the android player is worse than the playback via smb on the same
>> device. I can use dlna to get the player to stream movies from the
>> nas
>> which seems to give a bit better performance, but I have movies in 3
>> directories, with one directory containing mp4 files, the 2nd with
>> mov
>> files and the 3rd with an mkv files, but dlna is unable to even see
>> the
>> directory containing the mkv files and at the moment I don't know
>> why.
>> The 2 directories that dlna can see were created by Windows whereas
>> the
>> directory it can't see was created from Fedora via Samba, which might
>> explain the issue but I don't know why that should be any different.
> It may also depend on the client side. In the past I've had problems
> with some clients which couldn't see MKV files (because they didn't have
> the codec). However you should recheck the server config file. Does it
> list all the places you keep content? What happens if you put an MKV
> file in the MP4 directory? Does it show up or not? It would be helpful
> to know what server you're using now. As I said before, minidlna is very
> easy to set up.
>
> I don't have a separate directory per format, but use directories for
I have similar directory structures, but I have now resolved my issue
with dlna not being able to see the top level directory that contained
the sublevel directories containing mkv files. I tried renaming the top
level directory from windows but the client still couldn't see it. It
wasn't until I refreshed the multimedia service on the server that the
client could then see the directory, sub-directories and mkv files. What
I don't understand is why dlna had trouble seeing the directories but
NFS and Samba had no issues at all.
I'm using a Dlink DNS-320L Nas box with 2 Western Digital Nas 1TB disks
configured as Raid 0 connected via ethernet to my wireless
modem/router/phone for my server.

Now that I have the Nas sorted out I need to sort out ffmpeg and why it
does the things it does. Its giving me grief when I convert videos to
mp4 format in that it insists on using aac for the audio codec, and then
refusing to undertake the conversion unless I supply 2 additional
parameters because aac is still beta. If it really is beta why is it
using that codec by default when not explicitly told to?

My main concern with using a powerboard, because I don't have any
choice, was using the homeplug device with other devices overloading the
powerboard having had issues with a 2000W heater destroying powerboards,
and having the electronic store that provided the powerboard tell me I
should never plug the heater into the powerboard, that I should only
ever plug it into the wall power socket as powerboards are not designed
for that load.

regards,
Steve