is it the future?

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Mon Sep 22 22:59:51 UTC 2014

Richard Hughes wrote:
> On 9 September 2014 08:55, Balint Szigeti <balint.szgt at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Maybe I have watched too many films...
>
> Yes, you have. If you don't like the direction systemd is taking then
> please install one of the BSD's and stop the discussion on this user
> list. Thanks.

Spoken like a true fascist, Richard. I checked the duty roster and it's not your
week to be God, either.

I agree that systemd is totally failing at its original direction, and note that
it has delayed migration to newer RHEL versions due to the need to find budget
for sysadmin training. That said, I am not claiming that it has not use, just
that it addresses (some say creates) problems many sites don't have.

If RHEL7 allows, systemd will be removed and sysvinit installed rather than do
that. There are a lot of sysvinit packages there, I suspect they will do the
job. Pushing the init migration out another five years will let people skip
systemd and go to the next big thing (possibly fatsock from CMU, however they do
odd capitalization). Like many things it is a huge server solution fitted
awkwardly to medium servers, introducing a high complexity to benefit ratio.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>