Smart Media Player Network Access in Fedora 20

Rick Stevens ricks at alldigital.com
Tue Sep 23 00:44:07 UTC 2014

On 09/22/2014 04:32 PM, Patrick O'Callaghan issued this missive:
>> for
>>> I have similar directory structures, but I have now resolved my
>> issue
>>> with dlna not being able to see the top level directory that
>> contained
>>> the sublevel directories containing mkv files. I tried renaming the
>> top
>>> level directory from windows but the client still couldn't see it.
>> It
>>> wasn't until I refreshed the multimedia service on the server that
>> the
>>> client could then see the directory, sub-directories and mkv files.
>> What
>>> I don't understand is why dlna had trouble seeing the directories
>> but
>>> NFS and Samba had no issues at all.
>>
>> Most DLNA servers create a database containing the content. If you
>> changed the layout or anything like that, you have to have the DLNA
>> server rescan the directories to find the content and hand it off to
>> the
>> clients.
>
> Simply adding new content doesn't usually require an explicit rescan
> because the server is watching a given set of directories. Changing the
> structure typically does mean a rescan because the set of directories to
> be watched has changed.

Yup. Adding content sometimes requires it as well. Some servers don't
do a good job of scanning. I agree they're supposed to watch, but
minidlnad won't unless you enable inotify and event then only on
filesystems that support inotify. I know of at least one FS that
doesn't. Not sure if NFS does.