fetchmail finding downloaded mail

Alex mysqlstudent at gmail.com
Wed Sep 24 20:53:28 UTC 2014

Hi,

>> > There are no "real" folders in Gmail. It's a database. "Folders" are
>> > simply labels (which is why the same message can be in multiple
>> > "folders"). Possibly Trash is a special case of messages marked for
>> > deletion (as happens on IMAP servers), I wouldn't know.
>>
>> I meant "real" in terms of accessibility from IMAP, compared to the
>> labels/filters that can be created and aren't really part of IMAP at
>> all.
>>
>> So I moved the 260k messages I had in Trash to some folder called
>> [imap]/Trash, and as the name implies, I was then able to access them
>> using fetchmail.
>
> AFAIK they are all accessible from IMAP, however your IMAP client may
> not be subscribed to all of them. For example, I don't subscribe to the
> Gmail Trash folder (label) from Evolution because Evo has its own
> virtual Trash folder which is slightly different (it follows the
> canonical IMAP model, which strictly speaking Gmail doesn't).

I'm pretty sure there are some folders that just aren't available.
There's also an option in Settings that allows you to select/unselect
which folders are visible to IMAP, and the general Trash folder is not
there, along with many other folders.

"All Mail" is another folder that I just can't figure out how to access.

Thanks,
Alex