Regular font for human beings to learn to write

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Thu Sep 25 06:20:29 UTC 2014

Allegedly, on or about 25 September 2014, Orange Paranoid sent:
> In documents and presentation files. Beginners want to assume the
> one-to-one correspondence. Why in the world should some letters be
> written / printed differently? (It is not wise to explain this. Come
> on. They are just learning to spell the words. Plus, in exercises,
> tests and exams, the mentioned font makes the letters unique, e.g. the
> upper case I VS the lower case l.)

It is traditional to learn from handwriting first (blackboards,
whiteboards, etc.).  You read from them, you write on paper.  Later
comes printed words.  In this day and age, of computers and fonts, I
think it's probably easier to have a short discussion (with new
learners), than it used to be, about how there are some different styles
of letter shapes, and show a few examples.  By all means, at the start
standardise on something that aids them learning.  But as they progress,
and start reading different material, they are going to come across
different fonts.  Hopefully, by then, it's not going to be a major issue
to come to grips with.

I used to work with kids doing what was called "bridge reading," where
above each word was a pictogram representing that word.  Some were
readily clear, others were about as sensible as some of the wierd
symbols you see on road signs.  But it was done as an aid to those
having trouble learning to read, as you have a regularly used symbol
always been used with the same word, so it helps, somewhat, to
differentiate between that word, and some other similar looking word.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp

public lists.

ZNQR LBH YBBX