[Fedora] Heads up: possible BASH security vulnerability

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Thu Sep 25 09:58:47 UTC 2014

On 25 September 2014 08:55, Walter Cazzola <cazzola at di.unimi.it> wrote:
> Dear Experts,
> I was wondering if it could be a good workaround to link /bin/sh to tcsh
> instead of bash. I'm not using bash at all but probably something in the
> system is so do you know some contraindication on a system with apache
> and SVN servers?

I'd have thought tcsh and bash semantics were sufficiently different
this would break things (with the exception of cases where the shell
is simply being used to launch a command). Dash (as in Debian and
Ubuntu) might be a better replacement, though /bin/sh scripts that
relied on bash features would still break. You would still not have
any protection for CGI scripts that specify bash as the interpreter.
Disabling CGI if you don't need it would probably be the best
protection, not familiar enough with mod_dav_svn to say for sure
though.

--
imalone
http://ibmalone.blogspot.co.uk