Problem in F20 with vfat filesystem on some sdhc card

Joachim Backes joachim.backes at rhrk.uni-kl.de
Thu Sep 25 11:23:06 UTC 2014

Hi all,

1. I created a vfat FS on a 32 GB SD-HC card

      mkfs.vfat /dev/sdd1).

   No errors

2. mount /dev/sdd1 /mnt

3. copy some huge file (about 17 GB) to /mnt with the cp cmd:

   cp bigfile /mnt

This runs for some secs, but then fails with:

FAT-fs (sdd1): error, fat_free_clusters: deleting FAT entry beyond EOF
FAT-fs (sdd1): Filesystem has been set read-only

4. Trying the same with rsync:

      rsync bigfile /mnt

   runs some time, but then breaks:

rsync: mkstemp "/mnt/.bigfile.fqOS8w" failed: Read-only file system    (30)
rsync error: some files/attrs were not transferred (see previous errors)
(code 23) at main.c(1165) [sender=3.1.0]

How can I get rid from this? All help welcome.

Kind regards

Joachim Backes

--

Fedora release 21 (Twenty One)