Heads up: possible BASH security vulnerability

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Fri Sep 26 10:10:09 UTC 2014

On 25 September 2014 20:11, jd1008 <jd1008 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 09/25/2014 01:50 AM, Ian Malone wrote:

>>> Well and good.
>>> Are you saying that a java script, being executed on your system
>>> via the browser, cannot also fork and exec bash?
>>
>> That in itself is not the vulnerability, the vulnerability is that
>> starting bash with environment variables that are potentially set by
>> an untrusted user can execute code, the lwn write up is quite good
>> http://lwn.net/Articles/613032/

> Thanx Ian.
> I wonder if the BSD sh has the same vulnerability.

Mac OS-X does! It's sort of a BSD. I don't have a real BSD to look at,
it seems some of them use true sh
http://bsdwiki.reedmedia.net/wiki/Create_a_simple_Bourne_shell_script.html,
this being a bash problem it's unlikely, but anyone using one might
want to check for peace of mind.

--
imalone
http://ibmalone.blogspot.co.uk