strange issue with ssh on F20 on DSL/VPN

Ranjan Maitra maitra.mbox.ignored at inbox.com
Sun Sep 28 04:00:00 UTC 2014

Dear friends,

A bit more information that I found over the course of the afternoon
and evening.

On Sat, 27 Sep 2014 16:18:31 -0500 Ranjan Maitra
<maitra.mbox.ignored at inbox.com> wrote:

> So, I have a strange issue.
>
> I have a local machine (laptop) connecting remotely to several desktops
> including one that is a fully updated F20 (this is the one I have total
> control over and therefore my choice of distributions). The others are
> RHEL5's or Centos6. Connections are only permitted to all
> machines through VPN (university policy). So, I on my new DSL
> connection (which is wired and will replace my cable modem connection)
> but currently both are active.
>
> Anyway, I can connect to all machines when I am on the cable modem
> (using wireless) and VPN unlimited number of times.
>
> I can connect to all the non-F20 machines using ssh unlimited times
> when I am on DSL and VPN.
>
> However, I can only connect once t the F20 machine when I am on DSL and
> the VPN. There is no way I can connect directly. (I can connect to one
> of the non-F20 machines by ssh and from there connect to the F20 machine
> however.) I can only connect directly again to the F20 machine by
> ssh from my local machine by rebooting the remote F20 machine. And that
> too for only one time. After I log out, I can not connect again.

I wanted to add that I have found out that another way to connect to
the F20remote machine (beyond rebooting it) on the DSL/VPN. That is by
disconnecting and reconnecting the VPN. But why should this be so? And
also why does this not happen with the other machines that are not
running Fedora but older Centos/RHEL distributions. And why does it not
matter (and works fine) on a Wifi/VPN connection through a cable modem.

> What should I looking for? /var/log/secure does not have any entry when
> I can not connect (however it does have an entry when I cancel the
> connection by Ctrl-C -- "Connection closed").
>
> Any suggestions as to how to diagnose and solve this problem?
>
> Sorry for bringing forth the strangest of questions. I am hoping that
> someone more familiar with networking issues will have some idea and
> suggestions on what is going on.

Thanks again for any much-needed help!

Best wishes,
Ranjan