5tFTW: F21 Alpha, Shellshock, Schedule Docs Update, Flock 2015 Locations, and a Fedora User Committee idea (2014-09-26)

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Sun Sep 28 14:51:20 UTC 2014

On Sat, Sep 27, 2014 at 11:53:06AM +0200, Heinz Diehl wrote:
> Thanks, I've already read them all. However, some of the information
> given is not precise enough or could be misinterpreted. For ex., to me it
> looks like that the GNOME desktop will be the only DE supported (and
> installable).

No, that's not the case, by a long shot. It is true that Workstation is
based on the GNOME desktop, but that's incidental to the point. You'll still
be able to install any desktop, including GNOME, outside of the Workstation
product. However, Workstation is currently going to be the main
desktop-user-targeted deliverable that we're focusing Fedora resources on.

That doesn't mean that we're going to take away other options (or the
ability to work on them in Fedora!). Fundamentally, this is a marketing
strategy: it's much more effective to pick some key areas and make a huge
measurable impact than it is to do a small amount in every direction with no
focus. The goal is, in fact, for that focused success to spread out to
increase Fedora use in all areas.

As for whether it's a way you don't like — try it and see, and if it doesn't
fit, there's probably a spin or some other areas in Fedora which suits
better. And if that's still not for you, that's okay too.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm at fedoraproject.org>