journalctl high CPU load, reboot, not rsyslogd is the problem

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 29 02:17:38 UTC 2014

I was trying out the new gnome software center and was installing a few
things, then it crashed and I heard the CPU fan cranking up.

Checked atop and journalctl was maxing out one core. I tried restarting it
but it didn't help so I figured a restart was in order.

Immediately after logging in the cpu fan cranked back up but when I checked
atop, it was rsyslogd and not journalctl.

I tried restarting abrtd (based on another thread), and rsyslogd but it
didn't help. I finally had to stop the service.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Richard