What just happened?

Tom Horsley horsley1953 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 30 12:23:00 UTC 2014

On Tue, 30 Sep 2014 09:57:48 +0200
Lars E. Pettersson wrote:

> As I mentioned in another thread. I have noticed that the journal, once
> in a blue moon, dumps the entire journal to the syslog daemon.

Certainly the impression I got was that sometime on Sep 21, the
mechanism to transfer log entries to rsyslogd stopped working,
then when I rebooted on Sep 29, it decided it needed to catch
up on everything it missed since Sep 21.

Anyway, since then I have googled for the way to eradicate
as much of this binary log file nonsense as possible, and this seems
to work:

edit /etc/systemd/journald.conf set Storage=none

Create the file /etc/rsyslog.d/sd-socket.conf with this line in it:
$AddUnixListenSocket /run/systemd/journal/syslog

Now journald is only a relay agent, storing nothing itself,
and sending everything to rsyslogd where it belongs.