Most likely OT: rsync to cifs mount

Ranjan Maitra maitra.mbox.ignored at inbox.com
Thu Apr 2 12:54:58 UTC 2015

On Thu, 2 Apr 2015 15:20:52 +1100 Cameron Simpson <cs at zip.com.au> wrote:

> On 01Apr2015 08:07, Ranjan Maitra <maitra.mbox.ignored at inbox.com> wrote:
> >Thanks to both Cameron and you, Bob!
> >
> >After the transfer, here is what we have, on that filesystem:
> >
> >$ du -sh kmeans --apparent-size
> >154G	kmeans
> >
> >$ du -sh kmeans
> >628G	kmeans
>
> That looks backwards to me, presuming you have sparse files?
> Although "man du" is, frankly, vague about what this means, I'd imagine from
> the description that it tallies the byte sizes of the files; du normally
> tallies "blocks" from the st_blocks stat field, which reports allocated blocks
> (which is lower than st_size/st_blksize if the file is sparse).
>
> So how you get a smaller "du" with --apparent-size escapes me. You are duing
> the same directory, yes? Not the source and copied directories?

Yes, it is on the same directory of the remote Inselon FS mounted as a cifs mount on a F21 system.

The same command on my local disk (F21 machine, ext4 FS) yields:

$ du -sh kmeans --apparent-size
154G	kmeans

$ du -sh kmeans
156G	kmeans

> I'm still wondering if you do have sparse files; images generally are not.

I don't know but I assume I do. How does one find out if one does.

Ranjan