[OT] For your amusement

Joe Zeff joe at zeff.us
Tue Apr 7 20:03:46 UTC 2015

On 04/07/2015 12:50 PM, jdow wrote:

> Forums don't work after a remarkably short time unless there is a strong
> moderator presence and participation. For over a decade I moderated one
> of the most active Amiga developer related forums on any online service.

They also don't work very well unless the users are willing and able to
answer questions and give assistance.  I was on one forum years ago that
was effectively "write only" because nobody ever responded to posts no
matter what the subject.  The one exception was that any post that said
anything uncomplimentary to the devs of that package would promptly get
flamed.  Not by the devs (They made a great big fetish of not following
the "help" forum.) but by the users.  Weird!  Once I realized how
useless that forum was, I quickly abandoned it, and I've long gotten rid
of the program itself.