Postfix-Server behind a DSL-Router

Peter Ulrich Kruppa pukruppa at googlemail.com
Thu Apr 9 11:01:13 UTC 2015

Hi Heinz,

sorry - I still couldn't find the button for Inline-Answers in this
googlemail mess yet!

> but I can't receive mails from outside.

Do you have any DNS-record for your machine, is it reachable from the outside
world? If yes, you'll most likely have to forward the mail-port (usually 25) to
the internal IP your mailserver is listening on, as already mentioned in this
thread.
       Now, I know I can ssh into my Fedora from outside (not via my
private WLAN!).
       So generally it should be reachable.  And I have set up port
forwarding in my router
       - at least that is what it says :-)

If it's a "one man only" system, you most likely want to poll your mail with
something like getmail or fetchmail, which can hand your mail over to postfix
or deliver it directly into your maildir/mbox.
       These - as far as I remember - are tools to fetch mail stored
at some provider's
       server. First of all I would like to fetch my own :-)

Greetings

Peter