/tmp vs /var/tmp

birger birger at birger.sh
Mon Apr 13 16:46:43 UTC 2015

I am old school / enterprise oriented, so I feel /var/tmp is correct for
this kind of files.

Traditionally /var/tmp was for larger temporary files, and more
long-lived ones. /var/tmp traditionally survives a reboot while /tmp may
not. Some systems regenerate /tmp on boot, and some use a memory file
system. In the memory file system scenario storing big files there will
fill system memory.

On linux workstations the difference is usually just that if /var is a
separate partition then /var/tmp may have more available disk space
than /tmp.

And of course nowadays /tmp may be on SSD (where you don't really want
to write all your big temporary files) while in a system with multiple
disks /var/tmp is more probable to be on traditional disk.

So my vote is to keep the distinction as it used to be, and perhaps
report the new firefox behaviour as a bug if it really is a new default.

birger