Firefox version 37.0.1 crashes on redhat.com

Rick Stevens ricks at alldigital.com
Tue Apr 14 16:53:23 UTC 2015

On 04/13/2015 11:35 PM, Tim wrote:
> On Mon, 2015-04-13 at 14:45 -1000, Jim Lewis wrote:
>> I agree that on cheap hardware this might be needed, however, I don't
>> think it's the case on good systems. A lot of thought goes into the
>> design of the hardware, so things like overheating don't occur.
>
> Speaking as someone who's done electronics servicing for over 20 years,
> I can't say that I concur with that.  Erroneous resumptions get made
> that enough heat dissipation has been accounted for, or cooling is
> supplied to cope with ambient temperatures that are lower than actually
> present, or that the owner will have superseded the equipment before it
> has cooked itself...

And I have to agree with Tim. As someone who's been in the industry for
over 40 years, cooling is rarely ever given anything but short shrift.
When you start stuffing lots of heat-generating components (GPUs,
multiple CPUs, lots of DIMMs) into chassis that are designed with
aesthetics more in mind than reliability or heat dissapation, you're
"cruisin' for a bruisin'."

I stagger cards in my chassis when possible. I also run oversized power
supplies and add additional cooling fans if I can fit them in. I've
also been known to use the smoke from fireworks punks to look at the
airflow inside a chassis and put in baffling to make the air go where I
think it ought to.

I also manage several data centers and even with "industrial-quality"
machines (rackmount servers from Dell, HP and IBM), cooling is ALWAYS
an issue. I try to keep a 1U spacing between machines if I can, and if
not I try to keep the "hotter" machines near the tops of the racks to
minimize convection heat soak.