Is Hibernate going to be fixed any time soon?

Ranjan Maitra maitra.mbox.ignored at inbox.com
Fri Apr 17 22:46:12 UTC 2015

On Fri, 17 Apr 2015 16:36:47 -0600 Pete Travis <lists at petetravis.com> wrote:

> On Apr 17, 2015 4:18 PM, "jd1008" <jd1008 at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> If you've filed a BZ on it, there should be activity on that entry.
> >
> > Sorry Rick,
> > I must not be the only one experiencing this problem.
> > I am certain many others are having the same problem.
> > My exprience with filing bugs with bugzilla.redhat.com
> > and with bugzilla.kernel.com (upstream) has been very
> > unrewarding and unproductive, and problems I report
> > have largely gone unresolved or dismissed as either
> > will not fix, insufficient information, or unreproducible,
> > or duplicates of some other bugs files long before I files mine.
> > When I read the supposed bug for which mine was deemed
> > a duplicate, I have seen the problem is not what I
> > was reporting or was only slightly similar, with different
> > symptoms and side effects.
> > So, I have gotten very weary of this B*11**it.
> >

> > --
>
> If you're having trouble providing requested information or sufficient
> context for a bug, the qa list (test at lists.fp.o) might be a good place to
> ask for help.  Also remember that different symptoms may share and
> underlying cause, wrt duplicate marked bugs.
>
> Basically, problems that are not reported are less likely to be fixed.
> What you do with that is up to you.  The best way to have an answer to your
> question is to file a bug and see it through, or if it's a common problem,
> find a bug already filed and CC yourself.  You could ask for help here in
> remedying the issue, and determining if configuration or code are at
> fault.
>
> If you don't want to file a bug, fine; if you don't want to continue the
> discussion about configuration, that's fine too.  Do consider the audience
> you sent this mail to, though.  It isn't the power management subsystem
> developer community, and even if it were, I don't think what you're doing
> would be motivating.
>
> --Pete

I agree, I have to say, BZ has been very good in most of my cases: however, it also depends on the respondent. An example of a bug not having been fixed is the one on ssh-agent not started in LXDE which has been pending since F14 -- I gave up on lxdm and replaced it with slim. (Lately, I have gone away from using any DE so this is not at all an issue anymore for me).

Btw, I always thought that this hibernate not enabled by default without hoops was a decision (feature) of Fedora maintainers since F20 and not really a reportable bug. But it would help to get it reversed. (Why should a feature which exists in the kernel be disabled by default? -- linux is supposed to be about the ability to do stuff...not meaning to start a war here, but it really needs revisiting).

So, please go ahead and report it: you may well be pleasantly surprised.

Ranjan