TeX hyphenation

Aradenatorix Veckhom Vacelaevus aradnix at gmail.com
Sat Apr 18 17:34:07 UTC 2015

>> Well this question seems to be off tiopic in Fedora, but you could ask
>> it in a better place such as http://tex.stackexchange.com/.
>
> It shouldn't be off topic, because, as far as I can see, it is
> Fedora's changes to texlive that cause this problem. (I don't doubt
> that there are good reasons for those changes, but still, this is
> specific to Fedora.)

Ok, I understand.

>> Meanwhile
>> you must to know that you can use the packages babel either
>> polyglossia for hyphenate in another languages different from English.
>
> Thanks for the suggestion, but this requires xelatex. (I don't know
> how much of a problem that is; maybe it's a drop in replacement for
> standard latex.)

That's false, polyglossia goes well with Xelatex, but I think you can
use it with pdflatex also, although I do it with babel in both cases
(pdflatex and xelatex) and you should use babel whenever you want to
write documents in something different  than English, but that you
probably already know.

>> And of course, you need to install all the packages needed for that. I
>> don't know how is in Fedora, but in Debian and derivations usually you
>> have a texlive-base minimal working installation that could be enough
>> for the most common uses, but if don't then you could add another sets
>> with more packages, although install texlive-full.
>>
>> Even so, usually the version in the repositories aren't the newest and
>> then you can't get the latest versions and bug corrections. For avoid
>> all those problems I prefer get the latest version directly from the
>> CTAN. This summer will be TeXlive 2015 but I don't know if that could
>> be helpful for you.
>
> I usually don't mind being a few years behind with latex, and I'd like
> to keep using fedora's version. If there is _really_ no way to turn
> hyphenation on for languages other than English, then it's a bug. I'll
> do some more investigating, and if it doesn't turn up anything, I'll
> file a bug report (and maintain my local \hyphenation{}).

I understand, the important is it works. I prefer the last couple of
years use the most current version of TeXlive because I use LaTeX for
all, and for many projects I have no choice. Could you add a prealmble
to see how are you worinking with that?