Is Hibernate going to be fixed any time soon?

Ranjan Maitra maitra.mbox.ignored at inbox.com
Mon Apr 20 13:54:58 UTC 2015

On Mon, 20 Apr 2015 14:35:57 +0100 Richard Hughes <hughsient at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 19 April 2015 at 18:44, jd1008 <jd1008 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Are all the developers who must do unit and system
> > tests before blessing their production as ready to shiip,
> > ignorant of (I mean do not know about) this issue?
>
> I'm pretty sure most of those developers don't hibernate anymore
> (myself included). Writing a 16GB file to swap takes forever, and most
> hardware can go days when suspended.

But why take away the option, for those of us who don't mind the less-than-15-second wait (and I do have a 24GB swap for my 12GB RAM) and want to conserve? The life of the battery is related to the number of charges/recharges that is made in its lifetime. Linux is about options. (Btw, I have never had a battery lose its charge time life in 18+ years of using laptops.)

Ranjan