Controlling use of /tmp vs /var/tmp

Max Pyziur pyz at brama.com
Tue Apr 21 23:20:46 UTC 2015

Greetings,

Recently, I tried asking a question in regard to the use of /tmp vs
/var/tmp in F21?

Is there a way of controlling where temporary files used by certain
programs are stashed?

With /tmp the files are erased w/ each reboot; w/ /var/tmp they sit there
until the files get wiped by something like tmpwatch.

As an example, I open enough pdf files using Firefox; in turn, I export
them to Acrobat. There, they are stored in /tmp, until I save them to some
other location. If I forget, or there is a system crash, the files are
lost.

In older versions of Fedora (my prior one was F18), temporary files in
Acrobat were assigned to /var/tmp.

Is there a way or place to specify this?

Thanks.

Max Pyziur
pyz at brama.com