chroot question

jd1008 jd1008 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 02:47:25 UTC 2015

On 04/21/2015 04:51 PM, Cameron Simpson wrote:
> On 21Apr2015 15:34, jd1008 <jd1008 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> As root, I ran
>> chroot --userspec=user2:user2 /home/user2
>> chroot: failed to run command ‘/bin/bash’: Permission denied
>>
>> The dir /home/user2 has in it
>> all the *bin and *lib  (links) and usr/*bin and usr/*lib files and
>> subdirs.
>>
>> So, what is chroot good for???
>
> Hmm, on what platform? You posted to fedora and freebsd lists.
>
> I would guess that there is some permissions problem with the copies
> of /bin/bash (and whatever libraries it links) such that user2 cannot
> run it, as suggested by the "Permission denied" message.
>
> On Linux, strace can tell you about this.
>
> BTW, loopback mounts are probably a better way to get specific stuff
> inside a chroot before you lock the door. No copies, and no
> permissions to preserve.
>
> Cheers,
> Cameron Simpson <cs at zip.com.au>

Hi Cameron,
Now that chroot works, I am having a problem
with running gui apps.
For example running firefox, I get

(process:10281): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_slice_set_config: assertion
'sys_page_size == 0' failed

(firefox:10281): GnomeUI-WARNING **: While connecting to session manager:
None of the authentication protocols specified are supported.

(firefox:10281): Pango-WARNING **: failed to choose a font, expect ugly
output. engine-type='PangoRenderFc', script='common'
bash-4.3$
(crashreporter:10321): Pango-WARNING **: failed to choose a font, expect
ugly output. engine-type='PangoRenderFc', script='common'

(crashreporter:10321): Pango-WARNING **: failed to choose a font, expect
ugly output. engine-type='PangoRenderFc', script='latin'

What am I missing???