Thunderbird filters -

Bob Goodwin ~ Zuni, Virginia, USA bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Fri Apr 24 18:07:25 UTC 2015

On 04/24/2015 01:34 PM, Paul Cartwright wrote:
> On 04/24/2015 01:13 PM, Bob Goodwin ~ Zuni, Virginia, USA wrote:
>>
>> I wonder if anyone actually understands the inner workings of
>> Thunderbird?
> all of your account info is in the prefs.js file.. that will give you
> some idea..
>
> here is a google hit for filters:
> https://raymii.org/s/tutorials/Thunderbird_Back_Up_Mail__Message_Filters.html
>
> The file is named |msgFilterRules.dat|
>
> To back up all the filters, do the following:
>
>    * Close all instances of Thunderbird
>    * Copy the file |msgFilterRules.dat| to a backup location.
>
> To restore the file, to the following:
>
>    * Close all instances of Thunderbird
>    * Copy the file |msgFilterRules.dat| back into your (possibly new)
>      profile folder
>
> Under any normal Linux distro the path probably is like this:

.

/home/bobg/.thunderbird/0111r0ba.default/Mail/pop.googlemail.com/msgFilterRules.dat

Ok, that has possibilities, it contains a group of files like this:

name="newegg.com"
enabled="yes"
type="17"
action="Move to folder"
actionValue="mailbox://bobgoodwin%40wildblue.net@pop.googlemail.com/Inbox/xNewegg"
condition="OR (from,contains, at email.newegg.com)"

It appears that saving that might provide a back up of the filter rules,
but what I really need is to get rid of those empty directories/folders
and I haven't found them, even then will I be able to just remove them?

It would probably take less time to simply delete the whole Mail section
and start over than to work this out. I dunno ...

--

http://www.qrz.com/db/w2bod
box10 Fedora-22/64bit Linux/XFCE