WiFi restoration

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sat Apr 25 06:40:26 UTC 2015

On Sat, 2015-04-25 at 00:35 +0100, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> I tried a wireless repeater a few years ago. Complete waste of money,
> despite being a reputable brand (Linksys).

Interesting to know.  Never actually used one, just know of their
existence.  I can well imagine problems if there isn't free channels to
spare to run one, I assume that they work across more than one channel
at once, as a radio relay station.

> A much better solution is to use a pair of power-line adaptors. Modern
> ones use the IEEE 1901 standard (known as Homeplug), are available
> from several manufacturers and have good performance.

Having used other things that used the mains wiring, I would have
thought there would be performance issues from signal losses,
interference from noisy mains (switchmode power supplies, lighting
dimmers), and issues with RFI filters on some mains inputs or filtered
power boards.

A third option may be another access point.  Cable ethernet to it from
your central point, and place this access point in a different/better
position than the problem one.

--
tim at localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp

Linux 3.19.4-100.fc20.i686 #1 SMP Mon Apr 13 22:20:50 UTC 2015 i686

All mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted, there is no point trying
to privately email me, I will only read messages posted to the public lists.