Andriod tablet as a second monitor

Rick Stevens ricks at alldigital.com
Wed Apr 29 00:38:55 UTC 2015

On 04/28/2015 03:40 PM, jd1008 wrote:

> On 04/28/2015 04:28 PM, Rick Stevens wrote:

>>> There are several VNC clients and viewers on the Google Play store. Also
>>> RDP (Remote Desktop) and Teamviewer.
>>
>> I think the OP meant using the tablet like an actual monitor (e.g.
>> multidisplay off the OP's video card).
>>
>> As far as I know that's not possible. The HDMI port on the tablet is
>> an output only. The tablet is essentially a laptop, and that port is
>> its auxiliary display port (use it to connect to your TV or some other
>> HDMI monitor).
>
> No need to use hdmi.
> Wifi will work.
> It all depends on the X[server - Client] packages' configuration
> and firewall rules, ... etc.
>
> Hope the OP will use the SSL'ed version of X-[Server - Viewer] apps.

I was addressing the OP's question and I think the OP was trying to do
something like Xinerama using his tablet as a second monitor--not as a
remote desktop client. I use some vncviewer-ish thing on my tablet over
wifi and that's fine (damned hard to read with these old eyes and I
HATE having to scroll the display around), but I don't think that's
what the OP was trying to do.

For what I think the OP wants, he'd need something like a Mimo
USB-based LCD device--not a tablet. I have one of these Mimo devices
and it does sorta look like a tablet. It is merely a small LCD that
interfaces via USB. It works--not great, but it works. I haven't futzed
with it in a while (probably since F19) and it needed an xorg.conf file
with it configured as the primary display (ugh!). The login prompt and
desktop displayed on the Mimo and I had to drag stuff to the big
monitor to read it. Not ideal.

I have the xorg.conf file here in my hot little hands if you want to
see it. I never optimized it, it was more an exercise in a "can I get
the beblistered thing to work?"-form of self torture with the result
best summarized as, "Well, yes I can...but it hurts too much!"