SD card programing -

Dave Ihnat dihnat at dminet.com
Wed Apr 29 18:01:14 UTC 2015

On Wed, Apr 29, 2015 at 06:53:53PM +0100, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> IIRC the OP isn't asking about Fedora on the Pi, but how to create the
> SD card on a Fedora machine.

As I read it, too.

Just a Caveat--I've recently been doing a fair bit with the RPi, since
one client asked for a slideshow server with specific behavior, and
another for an Internet kiosk for their waiting rooms.  In building and
backing up these machines, I discovered something:  "8GB is 8GB the world
'round" isn't true for SD cards.

In fact, two different 8GB cards (that's all these kiosk apps need) were
actually about 200MB different in size.

This breaks all the recommended methods for backing up or duplicating
images, since all the tools--from Windows to 'dd'--use the raw size of the
card for the transfer.

I finally ended up working out the procedure to move data from a
larger-to-smaller card.  (I've documented it if anyone needs.)

Cheers,
--
	Dave Ihnat
	dihnat at dminet.com