SD card programing -

Bob Goodwin bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Thu Apr 30 08:44:58 UTC 2015

On 04/29/2015 10:05 PM, Rick Stevens wrote:

> Remember the RPi uses a micro SD card. If the thing your daughter has
> has a micro SD slot, you're in! If not, you'll need a microSD->SD
> adapter. If that's the case, then just wait and buy a micro SD that
> comes with the adapter. Most do.
I think it does, guess I'll find out or use an adapter.

> Depends on what you're going to store on it. 16G is good enough for most
> of what you want to do on something like an RPi. As far as how long
> it'll last? About the same as any other FLASHish drive. It's only good
> for N write sessions before it essentially goes read-only or
> self-destructs ("Good evening, Mr. Phelps...")
>
> If you're going to do a bunch of data storage on the beastie, I'd get a
> cheap USB-based hard drive and use it for that sort of thing. That's
> sort of what I have on the Jetson TK1--although it has an integral SATA
> port. I have the TK1 boot the OS off an MMC card, but all of the heavy
> lifting (home directories, /tmp, etc.) is on a cheap 80G 2.5" SATA
> laptop drive plugged into the SATA port. It's not pretty but it works
> and I'm not worried about running out of write cycles on the MMC while
> compiling code on it.
> - Rick Stevens, Systems Engineer
.

One application that looked interesting, Adaware has been pushing one
for tracking overflying aircraft. If you feed data back to their system
you get better access to their tracking as a reward.

Dunno, I am an experimenter by nature, will try a desktop configuration
first, using an external USB drive as you suggest.

Bob