F22 x86_64 - Chrome: Older HW works with minor issues but Newer HW has significant problems

Philip Rhoades phil at pricom.com.au
Sun Aug 9 14:19:21 UTC 2015

People,

Until recently I have been using some old hardware for both my mail /
list server and also as my workstation.  Since Chrome is such a resource
hog I was constantly keeping the number of windows and tabs as low as
possible - which was generally working.  I finally bought some new HW to
use for the workstation and although it is faster when it is working, it
seems to have MORE significant problems with Chrome (or something).  On
the old HW, if I overloaded it with Chrome, it would eventually grind to
a halt, on the new HW, Chrome Tabs stop working when the hardware is
hardly loaded at all!  If I persist by using a "killall" on Chrome
processes and restart Chrome, the workspace and maybe the whole
workstation will eventually hang and I have to reboot.  Sometimes this
will happen while I am using the computer, other times Chrome has locked
up sometime during the night . . I haven't been able to produce a
sequence of steps that will reliably reproduce the problem.  The
hardware comparison is:

              Old                               New

Motherboard  Intel DG45ID                      Asus Z97-A
CPU          Intel 2 Quad CPU Q9505 @2.83GH    Intel i7-4790K CPU @
4.00GHz
RAM          4 * 2GB DDR2 Synchronous 800 MHz  4 * 8GB DDR3 Synchronous
1600 MHz

(I can supply output of lshw if anyone thinks it is useful).

I was expecting all my Chrome-induced HW problems to disappear - not get
worse!  Anyone got any ideas about debugging to find out what is going
on?

Thanks,

Phil.
--