Search Engines of TB

jd1008 jd1008 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 12 20:31:08 UTC 2015

On 08/12/2015 02:20 PM, Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 08/13/15 00:16, jd1008 wrote:
>>
>> On 08/12/2015 10:05 AM, g wrote:
>>> On 08/12/15 10:48, jd1008 wrote:
>>> <<>>

>>> such is that i understand.

>>> hey, when one chases one's ass to keep up with competition, one tends
>>> to run in a circle of crap. ;-)
>>>
>>> read the link Ed G. provided. it is the new page i was going to look
>>> for because my old bookmarks are redirected to a common page.
>>>
>>> which is another crap circle because if the dev's can write a
>>> redirected to a common page, they sure as hell could have made redirect
>>> point to new page.
>>>

>> You and Ed missed the point - COMPLETELY!
>> It is NOT FF I am talking bout, nor searchin via FF.
>>

> Where in my response did I mention Firefox?  When in the link did I provide is the term Firefox used?
>
> In T-Bird, in preferences, under "General" there is a selection for "Default Search Engine" and a drop down list that includes Bing, Yahoo, Amazon, AOL, Ebay, Twitter, and Wikipedia.
>
> It is my belief that you want to add "Google" to that list and you convinced yourself that in order to do that you go to "Advanced-->General--->Config Editor" and manipulate the various entries.
>
> You can't.  And you're not meant to be able to.
>
> You can install the extension of T-Bird.

Well, by "you can't" simply underscores what I was saying to "g",
i.e. the about:config changes for each engines is a NOP.

The problem with all of these extensions is that they provide functions
that should be built-in to the browser.
Also, another problem with extensions is that at a certain point, they
become incompatible with a future release of TB (and this has been
clearly underscored in the case of FF extensions).

So, I want to drop this because it is not going anywhere that I want to go.

Peace,

JD