Nvidia GeForce Gt 705

Paul Cartwright pbcartwright at gmail.com
Mon Aug 17 18:52:01 UTC 2015

On 08/17/2015 02:45 PM, David A. De Graaf wrote:
> When an nvidia card is present, the akmod-nvidia package is present,
> and a new kernel is installed, it is necessary to ensure that a new
> nvidia.ko module is created.  One might expect that this would be a
> natural requirement of the dnf process, which would not terminate
> until that task had been accomplished.
>
> Sadly, it is NOT.  Until this is fixed, what I do to protect myself
> against a failed reboot is this:
>
> 1)  Near the end of the dnf update, run top and watch for abnormally
> intense cpu activity AFTER dnf concludes, looking especially for
> instances of cc1, rpmbuild, and any other processes being run by user
> 'akmods'.  These suggest that the building of nvidia.ko is underway.
> Do NOT reboot until this is done.
>
> 2)  Look for the existence of the new module for the NEW kernel:
>     find /lib/modules -name nvidia.ko
> Only if it exists, is it safe to reboot.
I see the one for my current kernel:

/lib/modules/4.1.4-200.fc22.x86_64/extra/nvidia/nvidia.ko

> 3)  If not, try to build it manually (as root, of course):
>     akmods
> or
>     akmods --force
I thought the /usr/sbin/akmods --force WAS the manual way.. what is
another way?

> 4)  If this fails and an error message says why, the new kernel must
> NOT be used.  Edit /boot/grub2/grub.cfg to change the default from 0
> to 1.  Wait for a solution.
I have other kernel options, but I don't think any have the nvidia
module. can I create a file for those?

--
Paul Cartwright