yumdownloader equivalent for dnf

Ahmad Samir ahmadsamir3891 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 25 08:27:43 UTC 2015

On 25 August 2015 at 07:41, Ed Greshko <ed.greshko at greshko.com> wrote:

> On 08/25/15 13:08, Rami Rosen wrote:
> > Hi,
> >> you'll need to have the dnf-plugins-core package installed to have
> access to the "download" command for dnf.
> > Are you sure ?
> >
> > I tried this sequence on Fedora 22:
> >
> > $ dnf download --source iproute
> > enabling fedora-source repository
> > enabling updates-source repository
> > Last metadata expiration check performed 0:01:35 ago on Tue Aug 25
> > 08:04:37 2015.
> > iproute-3.16.0-3.fc22.src.rpm     689 kB/s | 615 kB     00:00
> >
> > $ rpm -q  dnf-plugins-core
> > package dnf-plugins-core is not installed
> >
> > Regards,
> > Rami Rosen
> > http://ramirose.wix.com/ramirosen
>
> python-dnf-plugins-core is also possible
>
> Name        : python-dnf-plugins-core
> Arch        : noarch
> Epoch       : 0
> Version     : 0.1.10
> Release     : 1.fc22
> Size        : 210 k
> Repo        : @System
> From repo   : updates
> Summary     : Core Plugins for DNF
> URL         : https://github.com/rpm-software-management/dnf-plugins-core
> License     : GPLv2+
> Description : Core Plugins for DNF, Python 2 interface. This package
> enhance DNF
>             : with builddep, copr, debuginfo-install, download, kickstart,
>             : needs-restarting, repoquery and reposync commands.
> Additionally
>             : provides generate_completion_cache, noroot and
> protected_packages
>             : passive plugins.

The dnf-plugins-core package only contains manual pages, whereas
python-dnf-plugins-core contains the actual plugins for python2 and
python3-dnf-plugins-core contains the plugins for python3 (all built from
the same source rpm).

 dnf-plugins-core acts more as a -common package or a meta package that,
currently, pulls python-dnf-plugins-core (but python-dnf-plugins-core
doesn't require dnf-plugins-core); I guess in future when dnf switches to
using python3 by default it'll require python3-dnf-plugins-core.

--
Ahmad Samir