efibootmgr help

Paul Cartwright pbcartwright at gmail.com
Fri Aug 28 18:30:10 UTC 2015

On 08/28/2015 01:46 PM, Gordon Messmer wrote:
>> ok, so UEFI loads grub which loads grub.cfg which knows about the
>> different kernels ?
>
> Essentially, yes.  UEFI has its own list, which normally isn't
> displayed and is only available with the F12 key.  It identifies
> different boot loaders (such as the PXE loader, the Windows boot
> loader, grub2, etc).
I will try to hit F12 next time I boot... I want to SEE this:)

>> I just mounted my ubuntu "/" partition and.... /boot/efi was... empty.
>> I'm pretty sure it was there when I booted ubuntu.. oh wait... /boot/efi
>> is a separate partition..  but it is already mounted, and it is fedora,
>> not ubuntu... arg....
>
> Yeah, you will typically have just one system partition.  In your
> case, it has different directories for the Fedora and Ubuntu shim and
> grubx64.efi, and grub.cfg.
that's what is confusing.. I remember under ubuntu there was a
/boot/efi/EFI/ubuntu folder.. /boot/efi is a separate partion, I get
that, I created it:)

but now I don't see the ubuntu folder, but the fedora folder.. do these
folders get created/and/or/mounted differently for each OS??

 ls -l /boot/efi/EFI
total 16
drwx------ 2 root root  2048 May 21 14:59 BOOT
drwx------ 3 root root  2048 Aug 27 06:40 fedora
-rwx------ 1 root root 11391 Aug 23 09:02 fedora.new

where in the world is ubuntu ( not Carmen san Diego:-0)

--
Paul Cartwright